Tuesday, September 23, 2008

It's a boy thing... you wouldn't understand

My run this weekend led me to an fun little insight I had to share. This run was unique in two ways, one it was ridiculously long, and two I did it in a state park near my parents house (not my usual stomping grounds). I was nearing the end of my run, and the rest of the world was just getting going. All morning my dad and I had the entire park to ourselves. So we took the bike on the hiking trails (oooo naughty). I was currently running on the bike path (we're such rebels).

I heard a bike behind us and turned and looked. It was a boy, about 10, and a toe-head. Oh, he was waiting impatiently patient for my dad to get the hell out of his way! He was attempting to contain the urgency he felt as we climbed the "big hill" on the path. What's on the other side of the uphill? A down hill! What type of heretic doesn't want to fly down a curvy hill! I could feel his panic, and yet he didn't say a word. "Dad, get over. You're in the man's way!" He came zooming by us and then let go of the handle bars! It was fun to watch him arms out, blonde head still, body swaying, as he coasted down the hill! Then came his two brothers very close in age to him, also blonde and zooming, and his "Grandpa".

"Three boys ey?"
"Yep"
"Wow! Good Luck"
Chuckles "thanks I need it"

It was like the grandpa and I had an understanding, a bond. That I wouldn't have known he needed luck if I didn't have a couple myself. "It's a Jeep thing you wouldn't understand". You know how Jeep owners wave a certain wave at each other as they pass. It is like that. I don't know if having daughters is like that too, because I don't have a daughter. I don't know why it is; patriarical society, puppy dogs tails? Who knows. I do know that is how it is.

No comments: